BMI is the industry leader for publishing proprietary data, analysis, ratings, rankings and forecasts covering 175 countries and 22 industry sectors across the world.
It is headquartered in the City of London with offices in Singapore and New York and provides its clients with highly accurate, reliable and reputable data 24 hours a day
CG Consultancy worked with BMI to identify a number of issues which were either causing immediate problems or might do in the future:
- The existing core technology infrastructure had become outdated and was in need of replacement – instead of the repairing and patching up which had become commonplace
- Make sure any changes are robust enough to secure not just launch but also the predicted rapid business growth
- Internal project delivery mechanisms were inefficient and led to delays and cost spirals
- The IT helpdesk and service for internal and external customers was inefficient and unmeasured
- Solid plans for future growth and technology management were vague and undefined
An 18-month period saw CG Consultancy undertake and successfully deliver the following solutions:
Assign an interim Chief Technology Officer (CTO) to implement technology strategy and guidance at C-level (board / executive stakeholders).
Deliver an initial technology plan and short-term roadmap aligned to business objectives.
Assign a full-time Technology Infrastructure consultant to BMI to manage short-term emergency projects.
Upgrade the existing business-critical Novell platform, replacing hardware and implementing a disaster recovery policy.
Manage the external recruitment processes for the permanent Head of IT position and permanent Chief Technology Officer position.
Review external audit points, replace legacy systems and implement industry-recognised accounting (NetSuite) and CRM systems (Sales Logix).
Manage the procurement of a new company-wide subscription -fulfilment platform (THINKSubscription), including:
- the migration of the existing legacy subs system
- external vendor selection
- new system implementation
- data migration and testing (to include accounts / general ledger reconciliation)
- staff training and handover
Compile a full review and plan for BMI’s internal software delivery capability, including:
- restructuring the development team
- implementing Agile methodology
- creation of short-term project delivery plan
- introduction of BMI Programme Office with formal project governance (PRINCE2)
- reporting to business stakeholders
Assign a full time, short term 18-month position, Technical Project Manager Consultant to run business critical internal software projects and managing internal developers and BMI’s offshore development capability.
Conduct a thorough in-depth audit of the editorial thru-production process. The results identified a number of initiatives to be undertaken by CG consultancy. These included:
- forming a task force to trial a pilot project
- project management of the pilot concept and board level reporting of results
- subsequent roll-out of pilot to live business users
- documenting an RFI/ RFP for industry recognised editorial CMS
- staffing plans detailing restructure and additional hires
The ResultsDownload PDF
The successful implementation of the short- and medium-term plans with CG Consultancy’s interim CTO, Development Manager and Technology Infrastructure consultants was ensured through rapid delivery of effective projects.
BMI now has permanent key staff and a robust, scalable technology platform which will withstand the company’s future growth.
Key results came from some specific implementations:
- Replacement and retiring of outdated legacy systems
- Adoption of the Agile methodology to improve project teams’ efficiency
- Introduction of recognised ITIL standards for the IT helpdesk for continuous improvement and measurable results
Finally, a due diligence report from PricewaterhouseCoopers shortly after the work was completed resulted in a significant investment in BMI from Spectrum Equity Investors; simultaneously validating the strategic and short-medium term IT work carried out by CG Consultancy.
Business Monitor International was subsequently acquired by Fitch Group in 2014.
“I can strongly recommend CG Consultancy (particularly for rapidly growing SMEs with growing pains) - for recruitment, for highly professional project management of critical systems improvements and optimization of business processes, and for strategic direction and advice.
"The quality of the consultants sourced by CG Consultancy in the areas of Web Development and IT Infrastructure has been consistently high, while they have also assisted in sourcing and vetting several full-time senior hires, including Head of IT & Infrastructure, and CTO.
"As a rapidly growing company, Business Monitor International (BMI) outgrew its technology base and systems without at first realizing it. CG Consultancy helped us to quickly and cost-effectively overcome these problems, so that we can continue to scale the business”
Jonathan Feroze, CEO – Business Monitor International
Arrange an initial consultation